UPDATED June 2, 2016 1 p.m. PT
Prince succumbed to an overdose of fentanyl,a powerful prescription painkiller similar to but more potent than morphine,the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office said Thursday confirming what had been widely speculated since the music superstar’s untimely death in April.
Earlier in the day,a law enforcement source told theAssociated Pressthat Prince had died of an opioid overdose, though the exact drug was not specified.
Prince died April 21 at his Minneapolis home. In the weeks that followed, reports swirled that the57-year-old music superstar had over the years developed an addiction to painkillers he was prescribed for hip surgery meant to reduce the pain from years of dancing and jumping onstage.
The medical examiner said that the fentanyl was “self administered.” The report also described scars on Prince’s left hip and lower right leg.
Prince Rogers Nelson investigation results attached pic.twitter.com/CMt6lQSGxJ
Midwest Medical Exam (@MidwestMedExam) June 2, 2016
Investigators are also looking into where Prince may have been getting access to prescription opioid painkillers.
June 2, 2016 1 p.m. PT: Includes medical examiner’s statement identifying the drug as fentanyl.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.